- 1 red pepper large
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz bulk hot Italian sausage
- 4 oz pancetta diced
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chili pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1 med. onion chopped
- 1 sprig oregano finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 4-5 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup pecorino grated
- Roast the red pepper over a gas flame, turning with tongs, or broil until the skin is blackened. Transfer to a bowl, cover and cool. Peel, seed and chop the pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and pancetta and cook until well browned. Add the ground pork, thyme, fennel, garlic, chili peppers, onion, oregano, and roasted red pepper, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Deglaze the pan with the wine, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add 2-3 cups chicken stock and simmer for a few minutes.
- Bring 2 cups chicken stock and the milk to a low boil in a saucepan. Whisk in the polenta and cook, whisking until thick but pourable, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and add the butter and then the cheese, stirring until melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the polenta into shallow bowls and hollow out the center. Fill with the chili and top with more cheese. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray.