- 1 lg head cauliflower roughly chopped
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp italian parsley finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Place the cauliflower on a baking sheet and drizzle with about 3 Tbsp olive oil, tossing to coat, season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender and carmelized.
- Add the last Tbsp olive oil to a soup pot and once it's warm add the onion, garlic, carrots,thyme and celery. Season with salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until onion is translucent and tender. Cube the butter and add it to the pot, once it melts sprinkle in the flour, stirring to combine, then lower the heat and simmer 2-3 minutes. Pour in the chicken stock and allow to thicken, turning the heat up to medium. Slowly add the milk, combining, lower the heat back down to low, and add the grated cheese and parsley.
- Give the roasted cauliflower another rough chop to make bite-size pieces, and then fold into the soup. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Remove thyme stem. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from A Gouda Life