- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2-3 lb boneless chuck roast trimmed
- 1 med onion chopped
- 1 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 lg carrots peeled, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 2 lb yukon gold potatoes cut into 2-in. pieces
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Add to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove beef from pan. Add onion to pan; saute 8 minutes or until tender.
- Return beef to pan, and add stock, wine thyme sprigs, garlic, and bay leaf; bring to a simmer. Cover, place pan in oven, and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until beef is almost tender.
- Add carrots and potatoes to pan. Cover and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf from pan; discard. Serve beef with vegetables and cooking liquid.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light