- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lg red onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 3 lg tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 Tbsp butter room temperature
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- 1 cup gruyere cheese shredded
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring, until onion softens, 4-6 minutes. Add tomatoes and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring, until tomatoes begin to break down, 4-6 minutes.
- Add broth and 1 cup water. Simmer until tomatoes are very soft 10 minutes in batches, puree soup with a blender or immersion blender. Stir in cream and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until lightly brown but not crisp. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Discard fat from skillet. Butter bread, place 4 slices buttered side down in skillet top with bacon and cheese, and a slice of bread butter side up. Cook in batches, until golden on each side over medium-low heat. Serve with soup. Enjoy!